July 17, 2014

Peace of Mind Is a Choice

So many people I talk to say they want peace of mind. I've said it too. But I never really understood that in order to have peace of mind saying it just isn't enough. Saying to yourself, or to anyone who'll listen, All I want is peace of mind, is like saying I want a million dollars but not taking any action to acquire it. Words are useless if there isn't any action backing it up. Words are not enough. You have to act it out; play the part. You have to make decisions that will bring you peace of mind. Every thing you do must be geared toward achieving peace of mind. It's a deliberate choice to seek it.

I never fully got this until recently. About two years ago, I was told by my guide that in order to have anything I wanted, I had to feel it first. I had to become it. Thinking it wasn't enough. But how do I act like I have peace of mind when I don't?

If I tell myself that I want peace of mind and then a few minutes later engage in nasty gossip, I won't have peace of mind.

If I tell myself that I want peace of mind and then later in the day curse out a driver who had cut me off while driving home, I won't have peace of mind.

If I tell myself that I want peace of mind but then pick an argument with my significant other, then I won't have peace of mind.

If I tell myself that I want peace of mind but then go to a rave party then I won't find peace of mind.

If I tell myself that I want peace of mind but look for reasons to hurt another by seeking revenge, then I won't find peace of mind.

Peace of mind is a choice. It's saying to yourself, Do I really want to spread Jane's secret just so I can look important or fit in with the crowd, or do I keep it to myself, like I had promised, and move on with my life? If you choose to move on and keep it to yourself, then you're on your way to having peace of mind.

Peace of mind comes when you make a choice to not engage in any activity that causes undue stress or drama. Peace of mind comes when you set out to be loving, caring, and thoughtful. Peace of mind comes when you make the decision to not engage in a fight; when you tell yourself to walk away. Peace of mind is achieved when you realize that you're the only one living in your head and that this is your only life.

It's all about making choices. It's all about letting go of the drama. It's all about understanding that you don't have to prove how big, bad, or tough your are. It's about loving yourself so much that you'll take your life by its hand and lead it down the glorious path of who you truly are.

Peace of mind. It's all anyone really wants. But are you willing to deliberately hunt it down? If you answer yes, you will find true peace of mind.


No comments: